Sunday, September 12, 2010

More Harvard Classics

Here is something I picked up in an antique store yesterday. It's a limited edition Harvard Classics No. 12 from 1909: Plutarch's Lives. It's the Dryden Translation, corrected and revised by Arthur H. Clough. Here are some pictures of it:










I know that I promised you guys the really old piece, and it's on its way, according the USPS tracking info, but it seems that it is taking its sweet time getting here. But when it arrives, rest assured, it will make a delightful post (actually, two posts. I will explain this at a later time.)

I was also going through my collection, and I remembered that I actually own a second piece of ephemera; one of my "new" books (the 1950 Carl Van Doren edition of Dryden's translation of Plutarch) has an interesting little leaflet in it. I will include the leaflet in the upcoming post with the old piece. I think I might try to expand the scope of this blog to include more (occasional) ephemera, as I am starting to get the "bug" for collecting it.

Until next time, I wish you all (my theoretically immense mob consisting of thousands of readers---a guy can dream, can't he?) the best of luck in your book collecting endeavors!


1 comment:

  1. I had a peripatetic upbringing; but, despite the many addresses as I had before I was 18, I can still remember the 1 book collection that always traveled with us: The Harvard Classics.

    Beautiful find and great blog!

    Cheers,
    Athena Jackson

    PS. My brother now owns the full set, much to my chagrin! :)

    ReplyDelete