Friday, November 5, 2010

Congreve, Bound!

Well, here it is, after more than a month in the making, I proudly present to you the process of book restoration, in pictures, as performed by Michael Atha of Restoration Books Bindery & Fine Press. 


Here is the URL to Mr. Atha's website:  (http://www.rarebookrestoration.com/)


I have to say, now that I am holding the book in my hand, I couldn't be happier; Michael's high quality work far exceeded my expectations, and I feel like a kid at Christmastime. Owning this unique volume is truly both a pleasure and a privilege.


So without further ado, here are the pictures:


Before


Separated

Sewing Begins

Front & End Papers Added

No Detail Overlooked

Cover Panels


Cutting Out The Leather


Doing The Corners


Sans Decoration


Decoration Added

Time To Do The Spine

Crimping

Make Sure It's Securely Glued

Give The New Book A Little Weight Training.


Spine Detail Work


After


 As you can see, I ended up with a very nice book, one that I will always treasure. Thanks, Michael, you really made my day!

To my gentle readers, I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into the restoration process. Until next time, I wish you all the best in your book collecting endeavors!



No comments:

Post a Comment