Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Hugh Macdonald's Bibliography of Dryden's Works

Published in 1939 by Oxford's Clarendon Press, Hugh Macdonald's Dryden bibliography is a virtual treasure trove for anyone wanting to identify early editions of Dryden's works.




The dust jacket of my copy is torn at the top, but this is its greatest defect; the book itself is in excellent condition. I used it to authenticate my 1735 Tonson edition, which appears as entry 109.c on page 152. I hope to make use of it again soon; meaning of course, as soon as I can procure another copy of Dryden's works published before 1760, which is the latest date covered by this fine bibliography. To date, the 1735 Tonson edition is the only volume in my collection which falls under its (the bibliography's) purview, my other editions dating to the early and mid-1800's.



No comments:

Post a Comment