Sunday, August 8, 2010

What do I collect?

Although I refer to myself as an antiquarian, I do not limit myself to this particular specialization; I am, in fact, a bibliophile. I collect books of all genres and eras; my mania in this regard is quite extensive.

Thus, while this blog (as its title suggests) is about my antiquarian endeavors, you can expect to see (from time to time) a variety of other books as well, which for one reason or another, I have seen fit to acquire.

In the area of antiquarian titles, I concentrate my collection activities mainly upon three important authors: John Dryden, Alexander Pope, and Jonathan Swift. I affectionately refer to them in the same manner as was the habit of an old college professor of mine: "The Big Three."


These authors were the most influential of their day; from the Restoration, until the mid 18th century, these three authors dominated English literature, and set the standard for others to follow.

I collect any major work associated with these authors, including contemporary scholarship anthologies. But the bulk of my Big Three collection is antiquarian in nature.

I have a couple of hard and fast rules that I follow in determining what is and what isn't antiquarian; they are as follows:

1) I consider anything written in or prior to the year 1940 to be an "antique," i.e., in order for me to consider a book to be "old," it must have been around for at least 70 years or more.

2) I consider anything written in or prior to the year 1910 to be "antiquarian," i.e., in order for a book to earn a place on my antiquarian shelf, it must have been around for at least 100 years or more.

Having said that, the age of a given book is not always the most important factor in my decision to acquire it; it merely determines the shelf upon which the acquired item will reside.

For example, I value my copy of "John Dryden and His World" by James A. Winn (1987)  just as much as my 1735 edition of Dryden's works published for Jacob Tonson. The only difference between them, insofar as their value to me, is that Winn's book sits in my general collection, while the Tonson edition resides on the antiquarian shelf.

I also collect other antiquarian titles, including editions of John Milton, who besides being one of the giants of English literature in his own right, was also a major influence on the young John Dryden.

But my main focus remains upon The Big Three, and always shall. There is something magical about them, especially Dryden, that drives me to collect everything that I possibly can pertaining to them. Thus, this blog was born; a chronicle of my quest to expand my Big Three collection to as large a proportion as I am able. I hope you will enjoy tagging along with me on this journey.




2 comments: